Balestra School Workshops Blog

Fantastic workshops in the comfort of your school!

Balestra School Workshops Blog

A Home Guard soldier pays a visit to the brilliant Mereside school!

May 31st, 2012 · No Comments · Building our workshops, For pupils, For teachers, workshop photos

Many thanks to Mereside school in Blackpool for making me so welcome yesterday as both an Air Raid Warden and a Home Guard soldier visited their school for their World War Two home front workshop.

Led by Mr B the chief ARP warden, the pupils had the opportunity to explore a range of genuine WW2 artefacts, experience a little WW2 first aid and Blackout some 1940s windows. But that wasn’t all, for after lunch, they were surprised when they returned to find a Home Guard private waiting for them!

This is something I have wanted to do since I started the workshops as it has links with my own family history (my Grandfather was in the same Lancashire Fusilier regiment as the Salford Home Guard which I depict), and the reception from the pupils was fantastic, with lots of questions and interest in the role of the Home Guard during the Second World War. It was also nice that they knew all about Dad’s Army too!

This all led to a really authentic Morse code session, when the pupils got to use a genuine signaller’s electric telegraph set and our new ‘caeser’ cipher wheels to decode a secret message.

There were many other high points in the day which were only made possible due to the inquisitive nature of the pupils, who made sure they didn’t miss a single opportunity to ask questions and learn as much as they could about the Home Front during the war.

Particular highlights were Paige’s fine acting rendition of a V1 ‘doodlebug’ rocket (complete with sound effects from the rest of the class); being introduced to Zoe’s highly detailed WW2 model collection; and also Ryan’s realistic interpretation of what it might have been like to have been a boy watching an air raid warden’s post being built right outside his house!

Of course, this also wouldn’t have been possible without their dedicated teacher, Miss Hollis, who is responsible for the great photos you see here.

So thanks again to all at Mereside – a truly memorable day all round 🙂

If you would like to find out more about our NEW Home Guard workshop, or would like to see the full gallery from the Mereside workshop, please click the following links below:

Our NEW Home Guard workshop pages

Mereside Home Guard workshop gallery

Tags: ·······

No Comments so far ↓

Like gas stations in rural Texas after 10 pm, comments are closed.